About 1633 16th Street, NW 1530 R Street, NW
Spacious 2 BR in Historic Mansion of a former Embassy Dupont-Logan - This 2 bed 2 baths lower level apartment is located within a former embassy. The apartment is over 1500 sq ft, has tons of storage! This charming apartment features two decorative fireplaces, stone countertops in the kitchen, two entrances, a washer/dryer within the unit, marble finishes in the bathrooms, and two master suite bedrooms!
JUST REDUCED PRICE-- Was $3,300 Month NOW ONLY $2,995 (Save $305 a month!)
TAKE A YOUTUBE VIDEO TOUR- https://youtu.be/jGbw-Iu9jdY
The property is close to grocery stores (Trader Joe's, Safeway, Whole Foods, etc.), restaurants, and bars in addition to a variety of other commercial establishments. The property has a walk score of 96, riders score of 93, and bikers score of 94! Dupont Metro is .5 miles away (red line) and U Street Metro is .5 miles away (Green and Yellow line). There are also several bus routes in the general area, S1, S4, S2, S9, G2, 54, 53, and 52. There are ten Capital Bike shares within 5 blocks!
The application fee is $77per person. The building is professionally managed by Chatel Real Estate. $200 flat utility fee which includes gas, water, electric, and trash removal. Dogs accepted on a case by case basis $400 one time pet fee, $250 for cats will apply if accepted by the owner. One year lease minimum and open to a longer-term.
First month's rent and a security deposit equal to one month's rent due at lease signing. Minimum FICO score of 650. The Mansion is professionally managed by Chatel Real Estate www.ChatelRealEstate.com
Contact Craig Shireman "The Chatel Chateau Specialist" at Chatel Real Estate to arrange a showing. CRAIG@Chatel.US or office (202) 338-0500
HISTORY OF THE HOME:
This large corner residence, a mixture of the Romanesque and Queen Anne styles, was constructed in 1885 for George A. Shehan, the owner of a prosperous lumber company once located on the present site of the Federal Triangle. W. Bruce Gray, a transplanted New York architect who often worked in partnership with Washington architect Harvey Page, was responsible for the design. Other notable buildings designed by the Gray & Page firm include the old Army and Navy Club and the Metropolitan Club. The builder was John McGregor, a Sottish-born master builder who worked with Washington's most prominent architects between1885 and 1910. The house cost approximately $25,000 to build, including a detached, two-story carriage house at the rear of the property. A conservatory connecting the two structures was built in 1923. A photograph of the residence appearing in Washington: Houses of the Capital highlights the most prominent feature of the structure: the five-story tower with its ornate, wrought-iron balcony.
The Shehan lived in the house until George's death in 1903. Theodore D. Wilson, the chief constructor of the US Navy Department and the owner of the adjoining home, purchased 1633 16th Street and leased it to the Bolivian government in 1919 for use as the Bolivian Legation, the residence of the Bolivian foreign minister. Vintage photos of the house indicate it also once served as the Embassy of Ecuador. In 1923, prominent Washington businessman Robert L. Pyle purchased the property and converted it into a residential hotel known as the Bolivian Club. In 1951, the Pyle family purchased the adjoining house and connected it to the Bolivian Club by creating openings in the party wall on every floor. In its heyday, the Bolivian Club offered guests a choice of 42 bedrooms and 22 bathrooms, meals included. In 1977, the Bolivian Club was converted into an office building and remained so until the owner bought the combined structure in 1992. The owner subdivided the structures into their original configuration as two separate residences in 1993 and converted the corner house into a residence. Over the past several years, the house has been extensively and sensitively restored. The mansion was once again sold in 2020.