Contemporary Black Literature and Staceyann Chin's Other Side
There's nothing new about Staceyann Chin except the new addition to her family, and for that, we at Independent say congrats. Though new to motherhood, Chin is no virgin to the literary scene. Ms. Chin has toured the world, with her poetry leading the way and opening the doors for other oppressed female voices. She remains one of the integral writers of contemporary Black literature and for many budding feminist poets she's the gauge by which to critique one's written work. Though best known for her works of poetry, after reading her memoir one would be hard pressed to deny that Staceyann Chin can tell one heck of a story.
The Other Side of Paradise, is chocked full of vivid descriptions of her native land - Jamaica and the very intimate politics of gender, bi-nationality and race, the navigation of sexual identity, and the socio-economic climate. From the onset readers know that this is
going to be one heck of a literary ride and Chin delivers. Opening with the story of her conception and birth as a person of mixed heritage, Chinese and Black, readers are carted through the world of a girl child growing up absent of parents and without a safe space to be in the world.
Though there are points where readers laugh with the author, this book is not for the faint of heart. Staceyann vividly describes being molested and abused by relatives, denied her Chinese heritage by her father and the love of her mother, and having to flee Jamaica due to her sexuality. Ms. Chinn leaves nothing to the imagination as she bears her soul regarding her truth and readers find lessons of Black history that often go unspoken during Black history month. By books end we know what goes into the makeup of a great writer: a dose of struggle, a heap of resilience, and blend of ways in which to tell the truth.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent neiuindependent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST NEIUINDEPENDENT NEWS
RECENT NEIUINDEPENDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Chiropractic Care Now Covered By Most Insurance Plans
- Foodies Flock to Greater Fort Lauderdale's Dining...
- Yes, Olivia, There Is a Santa, and He's Calling You
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind