Contemporary Black Literature and Staceyann Chin's Other Side
There's nothing new about Staceyann Chin except the new addition to her family, and for that, we at Independent say congrats. Though new to motherhood, Chin is no virgin to the literary scene. Ms. Chin has toured the world, with her poetry leading the way and opening the doors for other oppressed female voices. She remains one of the integral writers of contemporary Black literature and for many budding feminist poets she's the gauge by which to critique one's written work. Though best known for her works of poetry, after reading her memoir one would be hard pressed to deny that Staceyann Chin can tell one heck of a story.
The Other Side of Paradise, is chocked full of vivid descriptions of her native land - Jamaica and the very intimate politics of gender, bi-nationality and race, the navigation of sexual identity, and the socio-economic climate. From the onset readers know that this is
going to be one heck of a literary ride and Chin delivers. Opening with the story of her conception and birth as a person of mixed heritage, Chinese and Black, readers are carted through the world of a girl child growing up absent of parents and without a safe space to be in the world.
Though there are points where readers laugh with the author, this book is not for the faint of heart. Staceyann vividly describes being molested and abused by relatives, denied her Chinese heritage by her father and the love of her mother, and having to flee Jamaica due to her sexuality. Ms. Chinn leaves nothing to the imagination as she bears her soul regarding her truth and readers find lessons of Black history that often go unspoken during Black history month. By books end we know what goes into the makeup of a great writer: a dose of struggle, a heap of resilience, and blend of ways in which to tell the truth.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The NEIU Independent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NEIU INDEPENDENT NEWS
RECENT THE NEIU INDEPENDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World