U-Pass, Finally at NEIU
The U-Pass received a startling amount of support in fall of 2010 for the SGA student referendum, and in spring 2011, the Board of Trustees (BOT) put a halt on the passing of the FY2011 budget thus putting a halt on the passing of U-Pass. However, on April 20, the BOT held an emergency meeting and at 4:10 p.m., just ten minutes into the meeting, the BOT unanimously passed the financing of the U-Pass and thus enacting it for fall 2011. As for why an emergency meeting was called, President Hahs and BOT Chair Carlos Azcoitia, stated that if they didn't pass it soon then the U-Pass wouldn't have been implemented for fall of 2011 but spring of 2012. So, they quickly and effortlessly nipped it in the bud. Now, students may be wondering what all of this means for them in the upcoming year. First of all, each student will be charged an extra $102 per semester and the fee will appear just as the student green fee appears on the tuition and fee chart.
Now, although it has been passed, not all students will gain access to the U-Pass. According to the CTA regulations you have to be a full time student at the accredited university to utilize the U-Pass. This means all full time undergraduates as well as graduate students, can use the U-Pass during the semester, as well as five days before a semester begins and five days after the semester ends. At the moment, it has been implemented for the fall semester, which means that in a matter of months, bus riders will no longer have to shell out $80, or more, for a monthly pass, but can pocket that money and use it on coffee, or maybe even a textbook.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent neiuindependent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST NEIUINDEPENDENT NEWS
RECENT NEIUINDEPENDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Chiropractic Care Now Covered By Most Insurance Plans
- Foodies Flock to Greater Fort Lauderdale's Dining...
- Yes, Olivia, There Is a Santa, and He's Calling You
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind