NEIU College of Education Brings Home Top Honor
At the close of it's 64th annual meeting at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, February 19th 2011, the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE) awarded NEIU's College of Education a top honor for Best Practice in Support of Global Diversity. According to conference marketing materials, over 800 higher education institutions hold AACTE Membership and this year they were brought together under the banner of this year's theme, "Imagine the Impact: Providing a Learning Journey for All." The Grow Your Own Teachers program, a course of study designed to prepare students from under-represented communities for careers as educators, was sited by dean Maureen Gillette as being key in the department's ability to attain such status among its peer institutions. In her acceptance speech Dean Maureen Gillette introduced Senior student Michael Vargas and department chair Dr. Brian Shultz and stated, "It is especially nice to be receiving it in our home town… I would first like to thank the faculty and staff in the College of Education at NEIU. Their commitment to diversity is deep and they live out our conceptual framework every day." Gillette was equally grateful for the support that the College of Education receives from its community partners and Chicago Public Schools. "I would like to thank our CPS partner schools. Without them, we could not develop the type of teachers who are committed to each and every child. Finally, I would like to thank our community-based organizations. We do teacher education better when we do it together", Gillette said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The NEIU Independent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NEIU INDEPENDENT NEWS
RECENT THE NEIU INDEPENDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Florida Remains Launch Pad to Space Thanks to Private Firms
- 9 out of 10 Americans More Likely to Come to London...
- Meeting the Health Care Needs of Next-Generation Consumers
- Katy Perry Helps Support Teachers and Students
- The Great Divide: Balancing Travel and Protecting...
- What Would It Take to Get You to the Dentist?
- Say Cheese! How What You Eat Affects Your Smile
- Headed to the Dentist? Beware of Backflow
- Student Backpacks Are Literally a Big Pain
- Lighting Tips to Enhance Your Outdoor Living Space