NEIU College of Education Brings Home Top Honor
At the close of it's 64th annual meeting at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, February 19th 2011, the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE) awarded NEIU's College of Education a top honor for Best Practice in Support of Global Diversity. According to conference marketing materials, over 800 higher education institutions hold AACTE Membership and this year they were brought together under the banner of this year's theme, "Imagine the Impact: Providing a Learning Journey for All." The Grow Your Own Teachers program, a course of study designed to prepare students from under-represented communities for careers as educators, was sited by dean Maureen Gillette as being key in the department's ability to attain such status among its peer institutions. In her acceptance speech Dean Maureen Gillette introduced Senior student Michael Vargas and department chair Dr. Brian Shultz and stated, "It is especially nice to be receiving it in our home town… I would first like to thank the faculty and staff in the College of Education at NEIU. Their commitment to diversity is deep and they live out our conceptual framework every day." Gillette was equally grateful for the support that the College of Education receives from its community partners and Chicago Public Schools. "I would like to thank our CPS partner schools. Without them, we could not develop the type of teachers who are committed to each and every child. Finally, I would like to thank our community-based organizations. We do teacher education better when we do it together", Gillette said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent neiuindependent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST NEIUINDEPENDENT NEWS
RECENT NEIUINDEPENDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
- How an Ex-College Athlete Survived His Use of...
- Frustrated Seniors Are Often Served Meals They Dislike Or...
- Help Protect The Young Adult Lifestyle
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video