A Woman's Worth: Conference and Celebration
Conference attendees at the Woman's Worth Conference on March 30, sponsored by Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., were treated to an array of seminars designed to affirm the body and renew the spirit of the women of NEIU's community. Kimberly D. Everett, Director African American Resource Center, provided the Keynote address.
Seminars ranged from salsa lessons, provided by latin dance instructor Esmeralda Roman, self-defense lessons given by professor emeritus Martha Thompson and instruction on writing a narrative which centered on the voice of women, led by award winning author, Bethsheba McGruder. That was not all, professor Olivia Perlow delivered a powerful speech that provided tips on how students can handle the overload of balancing academic life, work and increasing duties of your home. "For women, we often don't have the privilege of just going to school. We often find ourselves holding down several obligations on top of maintaining our academic goals," Perlow said. One example of an organization that provides assistance to women is the Women's Health Center, which provide low cost, women centered, health care.
The closing seminar, centered on informing men on how they can become allies of women and activists for women's rights, delivered by poet and womanist activist Ra Perre Shelton, left the audience inspired to contribute to the lives of women. Participants exited the conference feeling empowered, informed and definitely knowing the value of a woman's worth.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent neiuindependent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST NEIUINDEPENDENT NEWS
RECENT NEIUINDEPENDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
- How an Ex-College Athlete Survived His Use of...
- Frustrated Seniors Are Often Served Meals They Dislike Or...
- Help Protect The Young Adult Lifestyle
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video