A Woman's Worth: Conference and Celebration
Conference attendees at the Woman's Worth Conference on March 30, sponsored by Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., were treated to an array of seminars designed to affirm the body and renew the spirit of the women of NEIU's community. Kimberly D. Everett, Director African American Resource Center, provided the Keynote address.
Seminars ranged from salsa lessons, provided by latin dance instructor Esmeralda Roman, self-defense lessons given by professor emeritus Martha Thompson and instruction on writing a narrative which centered on the voice of women, led by award winning author, Bethsheba McGruder. That was not all, professor Olivia Perlow delivered a powerful speech that provided tips on how students can handle the overload of balancing academic life, work and increasing duties of your home. "For women, we often don't have the privilege of just going to school. We often find ourselves holding down several obligations on top of maintaining our academic goals," Perlow said. One example of an organization that provides assistance to women is the Women's Health Center, which provide low cost, women centered, health care.
The closing seminar, centered on informing men on how they can become allies of women and activists for women's rights, delivered by poet and womanist activist Ra Perre Shelton, left the audience inspired to contribute to the lives of women. Participants exited the conference feeling empowered, informed and definitely knowing the value of a woman's worth.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent neiuindependent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST NEIUINDEPENDENT NEWS
RECENT NEIUINDEPENDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum