Centro Autonomo in Albany Park
The Albany Park Autonomous Center (APAC), located on 3460 West Lawrence Ave. (about a mile south of the main campus) opened its doors in September of 2006. Its purpose is to create "a space that constructs horizontal relationships, political consciousness, and unites people in and around the Latino immigrant struggle."
Stuart Schussler, who works at the APAC, explained that the center is the result of day laborers needing a space where they could wait for work without being harassed by business owners. With the help of Tom Hansen, who is involved with the Mexico Solidarity Network, the center was opened and started giving ESL classes.
The center is funded by a study abroad program that is offered by the Mexico Solidarity Network in which the students learn about the important social movements in Mexico. The tuition from this program is used to pay for the rent, utilities and the personnel.
The study abroad program is accredited by the Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana in Mexico City. The program is recognized by the State University of New York (SUNY) system and American University, among many others and it does issue formal transcripts, more than 95 institutions in the United States have accepted the credits granted by the program in full.
The center works hand in hand with the Mexico Solidarity Network. Shussler said that it is through the solidarity network that the center gets its funding; however, the Mexico Solidarity Network has its own history apart from the Albany Park Autonomous Center.
The center began with ESL classes and has now expanded to provide the community with dance, computer and yoga classes. The center also has an alternative medicine clinic as well a bilingual adult high school.
Although the center does not offer any services geared specifically towards the college student group, they are looking for volunteers who are interested in working with ESL students or with their adult high school program.
Visit their website for more information at http://www.mexicosolidarity.org/centroaut%C3%B3nomo.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent neiuindependent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST NEIUINDEPENDENT NEWS
RECENT NEIUINDEPENDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Chiropractic Care Now Covered By Most Insurance Plans
- Foodies Flock to Greater Fort Lauderdale's Dining...
- Yes, Olivia, There Is a Santa, and He's Calling You
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind